Thursday, March 5, 2015

Annoying Comments about Natural hair

                                                              

I remember back in 2013, I was sitting out front of a store with my grandmother waiting for it to open. As we are sitting there I noticed she kept staring at my hair and right then and there I knew she was about to make a comment. I was about 4 months loc'd at the time and my hair was starting to somewhat look like locs, or at least to a person who hasn't seen many sets of locs. So anyway, after staring for a little while she finally said "you're not getting dreadlocks are you because I don't like them"...Um excuse you? First off last time I checked this was my hair and since when did I make decisions based off your preference? So I said "yeah I am locking my hair" and just waited for the response. She goes "although it looks cute on you, I still don't like them. I want your hair to be nice and pretty". What the hell is nice and pretty? Oh wait let me guess a press and curl right? I didn't even say anything because if I would have responded to that I would have really offended her from already being annoyed of her ignorance. When I look back on it though I wish I would have responded but in a conservative manner along with dropping knowledge of course. But the sickening part is this, she admitted that it looked cute on me, but basically saying its not good enough or pretty enough. Slavery has really did a number on us, but fortunately more and more sistas are going natural and embracing themselves along with waking up spiritually due to the shift of consciousness we're in. What are your thoughts? Share your experiences I'd be interested in reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment